Archive for July 2020

[Commlist] Creative Practice Research in the Age of Neoliberal Hopelessness

Sun Jul 26 19:09:44 GMT 2020

Agnieszka Piotrowska is delighted and proud to announce the publication of this special volume which is the editor of and which is entitled */Creative Practice Research in the Age of Neoliberal Hopelessness /*(with the EUP*/)/*. We explore how creativity can contribute to knowledge and how we combine ‘high’ theory with our practice. We also suggest that subjectivity and intertextuality through creativity can offer ways of resistance to the neoliberal ideology in the academy and to the rigid vertical ways of thinking about scholarship. The book is dedicated to the memory of the late Professor Elsaesser who also contributed one of his last written pieces here – and this one is indeed about his own creative practice, his film /The Sun Island/.

Diverse voices of leading scholar practitioners and scholars who have contributed to this unique volume and they are *Tunde Alabi –Hundeyin, **Eylem Atakav,  Jenny Barrett, William Brown, Warren Buckland, Tony Clancy, Jill Daniels, Bruce Eadie, Thomas Elsaesser, Rosa Fong, Catherine Grant, Roberta Mock, Nariman Massoumi,****Isabelle Starkier, Kiki Tiannqi Yu, Mischa Twitchin, Alexis Weedon, Rachel Velody*and of course myself.

Our early reviews and endorsements from some of the most important scholars in the world call the book ‘trailblazing’ and I do believe it is.

https://edinburghuniversitypress.com/book-creative-practice-research-in-the-age-of-neoliberal-hopelessness.html

TOC

List of Figures

Notes on Contributors

Acknowledgements

1. Introduction – Against Compromises and Complicities
Agnieszka Piotrowska

2. Against the Grain: Women Film Practitioners and Theorists Talk Creative Practice and Theory
Jill Daniels, Rachel Velody and Eylem Atakav

3. Married to the Eiffel Tower (2008) – Notes on Love, Loss and Knowledge
Agnieszka Piotrowska

4. Creativity and Neoliberalism: Between Autonomy, Resistance and Tactical Compliance
Thomas Elsaesser

5. Tactical Compliance and the Persistence of Elsaesser
William Brown

6. Storytelling and Game Playing
Alexis Weedon

7. Autonomy and the Other Woman: Queer Active Agency and Postcolonial Expectations
Jenny Barrett and Rosa Fong

8. From Neolithic to Neoliberal
Tony Clancy

9. First-Person Expression on ‘non-Western’ Screens – China as a Case Study
Kiki Tianqi Yu

10. Scholarly Exploration of the Creative Process: Integrating Film Theory and Practice
Warren Buckland

11. Teaching Practice as Theory: Guerrilla Filmmaking
William Brown

12. Baits of Falsehood: The Role of Fiction in Documentary or From Untheorised Practice to Unpractised Theory
Bruce Eadie

13. Repented (2019) – A Creative Intersemiotic Translation
Agnieszka Piotrowska

Notes on Agnieszka Piotrowska’s Repented

Thomas Elsaesser

14. How Do You See Me? The Camera as Transitional Object in Diasporic, Domestic Ethnography
Nariman Massoumi

15. ‘Shut Your Hole, Girlie. Mine’s Making Money, Doll’: Creative Practice-Research & the Problem of Professionalism
Roberta Mock

16. Feminist ‘Pensive-Creative Praxis’ and Irigaray: A Porous, Dialogical Encounter
Judith Rifeser

17. The Paths of Creation or How Can I Help My Dybbouk to Get Out of Me?
Isabelle Starkier

18. ‘We Want to Kill Boko Haram’. Reflections on the Photographic Representation of Children in a Displacement Camp
Tunde Alabi-Hundeyin

19. Between ‘counter-movement’ (Ingold) and ‘living with ghosts’ (Demos)
Mischa Twitchin

20. Screen Memories: A Video Essay on Smultronstället / Wild Strawberries
Catherine Grant