Archive for September 2019

[Commlist] housekeeping message from the commlist - important!!!

Sun Sep 08 12:59:58 GMT 2019

Dear colleagues and friends on the commlist,

For many of us the semester has started again, and this is a good occasion to brief you on a major commlist novelty.

First of all, we've almost reached 9000 subscribers, which is yet another reason for celebration.

The large number of subscribers also makes things a bit demanding for me, though. After all, this is still a one-person voluntary non-remunerated initiative (with some help from friends). Call it my gift to the academic community. Still, I'd like to continue to survive giving this gift, and I'd like to have the commlist survive as well.

This is a 9000 vs 1 setting, which should make everybody a bit careful. You can contribute a lot to the list's survival, and simply keeping this 9000 vs 1 model in mind, would already help a lot.

reading the guidelines before posting<<

One thing I would like to point out here is the need to read the guidelines (at commlist.org) BEFORE you send in a posting request. Many of the posting requests I receive, do not comply with these guidelines, arrive at the wrong email address (or even worse, at several email addresses), and I then have to guide the posters through the guidelines, which is a bit cumbersome and avoidable ...

In short, the basic commlist posting rules are: 1/no attachments, 2/no html, and 3/add an introductory note. The first two help to keep the list clean, the third one helps me to quickly identify posting requests, and distinguish between personal invitations and mailing list posting requests, which I really don't want to mix up.

the commlist digest<<

The good news that I can bring you, is that we now have the digest system up and working. The folks at Nordstack Services OÜ (thanks!) and I have been working on this digest system since the beginning of 2019, and we went live with a test group of 150 people right before this summer. Everything appears to be stable now, so anybody who wants to switch to the digest system, can do so.

>>How to switch to the digest or not<<

The old system will remain active - if you wish to receive each posting separately, take no action. The flow will keep on coming. If you wish to receive only one message every week, with all postings aggregated into one (fairly rough) list, then switch to digest.

The digest is an old request of many of you, almost as old as the list itself, and we have finally managed to implement it, after 9 months of developing, tweaking and testing. The high project workload was the main reason for waiting for a good opportunity, which came in December 2018 with the crash of our good old mailing list server at vub.ac.be and the migration to our new server at commlist.org.

I hope you'll enjoy this new feature (and the rest of the commlist ...).

Kind regards, and happy commlisting,
Nico

Nico Carpentier
Web: http://nicocarpentier.net/
New book:
RESPUBLIKA!
Experiments in the performance of participation and democracy
Download at: http://nicocarpentier.net/respublika/
----------------------------
New book:
COMMUNICATION AND DISCOURSE THEORY
Collected Works of the Brussels Discourse Theory Group
https://www.intellectbooks.com/communication-and-discourse-theory
https://vimeo.com/manage/albums/5732645
Charles University in Prague
Institute of Communication Studies and Journalism
Smetanovo nábřeží 6, 110 01 Praha 1, Czech Republic
----------------------------
Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) - Free University of Brussels
& Uppsala University
The Commlist
http://commlist.org/
International Association for Media and Communication Research
Participatory Communication Research Section
http://iamcr.org/s-wg/section/pcr-section
E-mail (CharlesU): (nico.carpentier /at/ fsv.cuni.cz)
E-mail (UUppsala): (nico.carpentier /at/ im.uu.se)
E-mail (VUBrussels): (nico.carpentier /at/ vub.ac.be)
Room (CharlesU): Hollar building Room 105
Phone (CharlesU): +420 222 112 134
Web: http://nicocarpentier.net/