Archive for July 2019

[Commlist] CFP: Punk and the Sacred

Fri Jul 26 13:31:15 GMT 2019

*_Call for Papers – Punk and the Sacred _*

The Punk Scholars Network will be hosting a 1 -2 day symposium at Mansions of the Future (Lincoln, UK) on the 28^th and 29^th November 2019[1] <#_ftn1> on the theme of ‘Punk and the Sacred’ as part of the Punk Scholar’s Network’s series of themed symposiums.

The keynote will be delivered by Ross Haenfler

We welcome papers, innovative presentations, panels, short film screenings, sound walks and workshops on, but not limited to the following:

  * The sacred sound of punk
  * The sacrality of record collecting
  * The incorporation of punk (music, ethics, dogma, rituals) into
    sacred ceremonies
  * The incorporation of religion (variously understood) within punk
    practice(s)
  * The development and influence of religious based music / punk labels
  * Fandom as worship
  * The ritualization of sacrality within / of punk
  * Hagiography of punk ‘icons’
  * The (possible) gendered nature of punk and the sacred
You can submit the abstract in any style, format or medium you want up to 400 words or its equivalent by emailing the organisers listed below. The deadline for submission is 6th September 2019 by 5pm (UK time). The organisers are Francis Stewart and Mike Dines, they can be contacted at:

(_francis.stewart /at/ bishopg.ac).uk_and (_m.dines /at/ mdx.ac.uk) _

This off campus event is free on both days, and is open to anyone who wishes to take part, either as a presenter or as an audience member.

Please note: we value all voices, experiences and personages regardless of their academic standing, educational level, gender or non-gender, ethnicity, class, (dis)abilities, or employment status. You are valued and wanted at this symposium. In particular we want to encourage nursing parents and parents returning to work to attend and take part to whatever extent they can. We will work to support your needs and the needs of your children and family. If you want a separate room or space for breastfeeding we can provide that, but please know that breastfeeding is also welcome in the room during the sessions. Currently we are unable to provide childcare facilities, but children are welcome to attend the symposium under the supervision and responsibility of their parent(s).

More details can be found at: https://punkandthesacred.wordpress.com/