Archive for September 2010

[ecrea] CFP: PMG stream at PSA 2011

Thu Sep 16 21:32:58 GMT 2010

Political Marketing Group panels and workshops at the PSA Annual Conference April 2011, London

The 61st Political Studies Association Annual Conference will take place on 19 - 21 April 2011 in London.  The PSA Political Marketing Group will be organising a stream of workshops and panels during this conference and we invite you to submit proposals for panels and papers to be delivered as part of this programme.

This year the overall objective of the conference is to bring together scholars, policy makers and practitioners from diverse international backgrounds, and we are keen to reflect this ambition in our own programme of activities.  We seek papers on any of the whole range of political marketing research and practice, but are particularly interested in receiving submissions that fall within the following thematic streams:

A) Public Affairs & Public Relations

This panel seeks to address the notion of professionalization and in particular the role of business practices on democracy.  We welcome papers focusing on the relationship between citizens, the election process and the use of marketing tools. Themes may include:

Role of professional marketers
Strategy, lobbying & targeting
Impact on citizens & the Polis

B) Electoral Reforms

Coalitions & hung parliaments (Australia & UK) – and also minority governments (Canada) -- provide unique opportunities and challenges to both political parties and citizens.  We welcome papers on how political marketing needs to adapt or may possibly be responsible for these recent trends.  Panel papers may be either contemporary or historical.  Themes may include:

Comparisons of practice between electoral systems
Coalitions, hung parliaments & log trading
Positioning strategies internally, with coalition partners, and externally to voters.

C) Political Marketing -- as a Discipline

This panel intends to draw upon practitioner expertise; providing a platform and opportunity to analyse the impact that the marketing profession has on the political process.  We encourage proposals that will look at these themes from a theoretical and/or a practical perspective.   Potential themes may include:

Impact of business practices on democracy
Role of marketing as propaganda & diplomacy
Creating new synergies between political marketing and public relations research
The influence and role of non-political actors

D) The Channel

How does technology impact on the political process, the citizen and engagement with politics?  Drawing upon various experiences (for example US versus UK) we want to encourage comparative and cross disciplinary research and consideration of media challenges and changes to political marketing.  Themes may include:

Beyond WEB 2.0
Crowd sourcing & single issue politics
Segmentation & Targeting

The deadline for submission of abstracts is September 21st.

Please send abstracts of up to 200 words, including full name, title and institutional affiliation to either:

 Dr Scott Davidson
 De Montfort University
 (sdavidson /at/ dmu.ac.uk)

Or

Dr Mark Passera,
Bournemouth University
(mpassera /at/ gmail.com)

Membership is of the PSA-PMG group is free, and activated by joining the political marketing Google group. Please email Jenny Lloyd on
 (jenny.lloyd /at/ uwe.ac.uk) or Jennifer Lees-Marshment on (j.lees-marshment /at/ auckland.ac.nz) to be signed up.

Dr Scott Davidson
Senior Lecturer in Public Relations and Media
De Montfort University