Archive for September 2010

[ecrea] New Book: "From Here to Diversity: Globalization and Intercultural Dialogues"

Sun Sep 05 14:55:33 GMT 2010

>Dear Colleagues and Friends,
>
>I am glad to announce that Cambridge Scholars Publishing has just released:
>
>"From Here to Diversity: Globalization and Intercultural Dialogues",
>Clara Sarmento (ed.). Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Cambridge Scholars
>Publishing, 2010.
>
>You may find this book at:
>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/From-Here-to-Diversity--Globalization-and-Intercultural-Dialogues1-4438-2366-X.htm
>or by searching the publisherâ¬"s on-line catalogue at: http://www.c-s-p.org/
>
>Following this message, youâ¬"ll find a brief
>overview and the table of  contents of "From
>Here to Diversity: Globalization and Intercultural Dialogues".
>Enjoy the reading!
>
>Best regards,
>
>Clara Sarmento
>

>APRESENTAÃ!Ã’O / BOOK SUMMARY:
>
> From Here to Diversity: Globalization and Intercultural Dialogues
>sees interculturalism as movement, transit, travel, the dynamics
>between cultures. Contemporary intercultural travel is a global
>journey, a circumnavigation at the speed of light that underwrites all
>  the comings and goings, the departures and arrivals, the
>transmissions  and receptions that are implicit in this title. Hence,
> From Here to  Diversity examines the motivations, characteristics and
>implications  of cultural interactions in their perpetual movement,
>devoid of  spatial or temporal borders, in a dangerous but stimulating
>  indefinition of limits.
>
>In the contemporary intercultural dialogue, new voices are making
>themselves heard, as valuable sources of study: the voices of women;
>non-occidentals; the non-powerful; forgotten narratives of a past that
>  was as intercultural as the present (after all, what is colonialism
>other than a perverse form of interculturality?); global
>entertainment; tourism; oral literature; diaries; mythical narratives;
>  the cinema; ethnography; new teachings, among so many others.
>
>Because this project is also intercultural at its source and subject,
> From Here to Diversity: Globalization and Intercultural Dialogues
>adds to the coherence of the project by including contributions from
>the most wide-ranging backgrounds and nationalities, without fear of
>the alterity that, after all, we propose to study.
>
>ÍNDICE / TABLE OF CONTENTS:
>
>Introduction
>Part I - Intercultural Representations
>Clara Sarmento
>A Ladyâ¬"s Visit to Manilla and Japan: Gender, travel and intercultural
>representations.
>Dalila Lopes
>Lisbon in that Summer of 1938: Antonio Tabucchiâ¬"s Pereira Declares.
>Enrique Banús and Consuela Dobrescu
>Travel as Solution ­ Travel as Problem.
>Maria João Cordeiro
>â¬ÜFishermen, Donkeys and Tramsâ¬": Tourist representations of Portugal.
>Mark Anderson
>Intercultural Communication, the American Frontier Myth, and Several 9-11s.
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885